Foods To Eat For A Healthy Metabolism
Did you know that losing weight is not just about calories in/calories out? There is more to this complex problem […]
Did you know that losing weight is not just about calories in/calories out? There is more to this complex problem than most people realize.
One of the biggest hindrances to dropping pounds is a slow metabolism.
Some people naturally have slower metabolisms than others, and some people have conditioned their metabolism to store fat.
Try these methods to kick start your metabolism and start losing your excess weight.
Foods that Speed up your Metabolism
You can actually eat your way to a healthier and more effective metabolism. Certain foods will help your metabolism burn fat more efficiently.
Try adding these foods to your diet. Bonus: if you follow the 17 day diet meal plan, all of these foods are allowed and encouraged.
- Protein: Protein is an efficient fuel that the body uses right away.
If you eat a diet rich in protein, your body will burn what you eat quickly and efficiently.
There will be nothing to linger after the meal is over.
- Dairy: Eating dairy has a similar effect to protein. The protein and fat in dairy products can help your metabolism realize it is okay to release excess fat because it is receiving healthy fuel.
Of course, if you eat your dairy with sugar or other unhealthy ingredients, your health benefits will be counteracted.
- Spicy foods: Spicy foods encourage your body to drop excess pounds.
Spices like chili, jalapeños, and hot peppers are all additives that will stimulate your body to burn fat.
- Iron-rich foods: Iron is a mineral that helps eliminate fats. Eat iron-rich foods like beans, spinach, bok choy, or broccoli
- Fish: Fish is full of healthy fats and protein that will help you drop weight. Try low-mercury fish and wild-caught fish for the biggest health benefits.
Foods that slow down your Metabolism
These foods have the opposite effect on your metabolism:
- Starch: Starches slow down the body and cause fat retention. Avoid starchy foods like potatoes, corn, and rice.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are also bad for the metabolism, because they convert to quick sugar in the body.
The body eats them quickly, and stores the sugar as fat for later. Reducing carbs generally increases the body’s metabolism.
- Sugar: Sugar burns quickly, but is a short-term fuel.
If you eat a lot of sugar, your body will burn the sugar calories and save everything else you eat as fat. Reduce your sugar to keep your metabolism revved.
Tips for Speeding up your Metabolism
In addition to the above foods to eat and avoid, there are other things you can do to increase your metabolism. These tips include:
- Eat breakfast: Starving yourself will only encourage your body to hold onto fat.
- Exercise: Exercise will improve the function of your entire body and encourage weight loss.
- Eat organic: Research in Canada showed that pesticides encourage the body to store excess fat
If you try these tips, you will soon see significant results in your metabolic function.
Consult with your doctor before starting any radical diet change to ensure your body can handle the switch.
This is a guest post by Dave, a freelance writer, mainly interested in sports and health related articles.