BENEFITS OF USING SILYMARIN
“Silymarin” is the extract that is obtained from the seeds of the milk-thistle(silybum marianum) plant. It is also popularly known […]
“Silymarin” is the extract that is obtained from the seeds of the milk-thistle(silybum marianum) plant. It is also popularly known as “St. Mary Thistle” and “Blessed Milk Thistle”. It is very commonly found growing wildly along roadsides. It is a prickly weed which has purple flowers and a milky sap. It is the seeds that are used to extract the Silymarin. For thousands of years, Silymarin has been used to treat multiple illnesses, especially liver disorders. Research shows that it is a complex of seven flavonolignans and polyphenols. The most active compound of Silymarin is Silibinin. There are several Silymarin benefits. It acts as an antioxidant and is used as a natural anti-aging supplement as part of “detoxes treatments” and “cleansing regimens”.
SILYMARIN – The Benefits of using
- Liver Care: Silymarin works wonders in protecting the liver from radical damage. It helps cure livers which have been damaged on account of excessive alcohol, drug abuse, diseases and poisonous intakes. It not only promotes liver cell protein synthesis, but also decreases the oxidation of glutathione. Silymarin also elevates the levels of glutathione, catalase, superoxide dismutase and other enzymes that play a crucial role in protecting the liver.
- Anti-inflammatory:Silymarin, which contains Silibinin keeps acheck on cellular inflammation. Silymarin, is one natural product which can regulate cellular inflammation due to metabolic, stress, and repair pathways.
- Antioxidant: Silymarin is a Natural Antioxidant since it contains flavonolignans. It has the miraculous ability to neutralize superoxide free radicals.
- Anti-cancer: Due to its unique characteristics, the application of Silymarin in Chemotherapy cannot be ignored. Silymarin has thus been used as a vital element while treating Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer and Colon Cancer.
Study show that it is really helpful in increasing the life span.
- Diabetes: Silymarin has proved successful in inhibiting levels of Cholesterol, Triglyceride SGOT and SGPT levels in patients and hence is used in combating Type II Diabetes.
- Anti- Ageing: Silymarin is rich in antioxidants and also contains compounds and enzymes that help to slow the aging process.
- Milk Production: Silymarin enhances the production of milk in cows. It has been used on cows from ages to improve the milk output. Recently, a study was conducted on lactating women by using Silymarin, which improved the quantity of milk produced without affecting the quality. Thus, Silymarin has been established as a safe and acceptable herbal supplement to be orally administered to improve the milk production in new mothers.
CONSUMPTION AND DOSAGE:
Silymarin is mostly available in the form of gel-capsules. It is sold as a dietary supplement where 80% Silymarin is considered as a Standardised Silymarin Content. Dosage depends on whether it is consumed in the form of Silymarin or Milk Thistle. The safe and acceptable daily dose used in studies is:
– If taken in the form of Silymarin: The recommended dosage is 200 to 800 milligrams.
– If taken in the herb form as Milk Thistle: The recommended dosage is 12 to 15 grams.