Top 9 Places To Visit In Ooty
If the desire is to be to a hill station in South India, then it definitely has to be Ooty, […]
If the desire is to be to a hill station in South India, then it definitely has to be Ooty, which is an abbreviation for Udhagamandalam. This picturesque, beautiful hill town is frequented by tourists of all ages and types throughout the year. It is Nilgiris districts, district capital. Tourism is stated to be the main draw here, besides agriculture.
The tourism industry here is budding, offering the tourists with numerous sightseeing places and exciting activities to indulge in. It is also quite close to several cities like Chennai, Mysore, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Erode, Madurai, Salem, etc. There is easy availability of road transportation of all types to reach the place without any inconvenience.
Some Popular Places to Visit in Ooty
Ooty tourism packages from Coimbatore does offer the tourists with an opportunity to explore the place and its surroundings. Few places that do make at the top of the list are as follows:
- Botanical Garden: It was Marquis of Tweedale, who in 1847 had inaugurated this park. This garden does draw tourists in huge numbers due to the presence of variety of flora. It includes different types of flower and tree species that are considered to be the garden’s main highlights.
- Nilgiri Mountain Railway: It is a vintage toy train that connects Mettupalayam to Ooty. This train is said to pass through the lush green forests, short and long tunnels, mountains, etc. and one of the major attractions of this place.
- Upper Bhavani Lake: It is a scenic lake that is found among lush green forest. It offers the tourists with a natural experience. One can visit the Bhavani Amman Temple located here.
- Sim’s Park: It was in 1874 that Major Murray and J.D. Sims had developed this park. It is located within a deep ravine in Coonoor. This park boasts of having a beautiful landscape and one can enjoy the vegetable and fruit show that is held here.
- Doddabetta Peak: It is a hill top that offers the tourists with the panoramic view of the city of Ooty. This place is indeed worth the visit and a great one to unwind and relax.
- Wenlock Downs: It is also called popularly as Shooting Point. This is actually a vast meadow located along Ooty-Pykara road. It is a fabulous place for holding picnics and to take walks to explore nature at its very best. Horse riding is also popular here.
- Pykara Falls & Pykara Lake: This picturesque lake offers the tourists with boating facilities. The falls comprises of several small waterfalls that joins together and forms the great Pykara Falls.
- Emerald Lake: It is a scenic lake that is located within the upper plateau. One can find company in ducks and birds here. This place is quite ideal to have family outing and picnics.
- Mudumalai National Park: The word Mudumalai stands for ‘first hills’. It is among the country’s initial wildlife sanctuaries to be developed. Here, the tourists can spot several endangered species such as the Indian White rumped Vulture, Indian Leopards, the Chital and long billed vulture. This sanctuary is a declared Tiger Reserve.
The above are the must visit places in Ooty.